The second blend shoot! With the photo shoot out of the way, our next major undertaking was our videos. We will be including helpful videos on some of the more unusual or tricky techniques involved in making the blends, so we again enlisted the technical advice and equipment rental services of Richard Twomey. He gave us a crash course in working with available light, and the video functions of the trusty Canon EOS 5D Mark III that we had borrowed. We also borrowed a Canon 24-105 f4, a Canon 70-200 f4, a Canon 50mm f1.4, an Olympus 100mm f2.8 and a Samyang 35mm f1.4. This selection of lenses offered us greater control over the shots we could select and shoot. But before any of this we planned our shoot and drew up some story boards and a shot list.
From these story boards, we drew up a shot list based on location. We had two major locations, the garden and the kitchen. The kitchen was then broken down into minor locations of the overall kitchen, the cooker, and the counter. These locations were then broken into wide shots (WS), medium close ups (MCU), and close ups (CU). These shots were then referenced against the storyboards to make sure that we hadn’t missed anything, and this became our shot list.
This non-linear form of shooting would maximise our time shooting by minimising setup times for each shot. This was an important step as we knew that we would be working with available light. With the shorter days this would only give us a short window to shoot.
So back to the actual shoot. We set off at 10am to Liz’s folks house in Naas as their kitchen was a good bit more picturesque than either of ours. We left a little late as this way we could get our hands on some artificial lights which were invaluable as the day progressed.
The most time on the day was spent choosing and framing shots. Despite our best efforts, we had to change shots and angles, sometimes for more interesting shots and sometimes as the shot wasn’t possible. These changes were marked in our rush list. We created a rush list on the day for each take of each shot and referenced them against our shot list. This again will save time in editing the rushes, while keeping track of some of the on the fly decisions we were making.
We started off slow, but with some firm time management advice from Richard, we soon got on top of moving through our 19 shots quickly. This proved invaluable in the end as for our final shot we had to make use of the kitchens overhead lights, our own daylight balanced LED light and reflectors to get enough light for the shot. This was at only four o’clock.
The light was the biggest challenge of the day, luckily with the different lenses we could make allowances for the amount of light we could let in while balancing each lenses minimum focusing distance. If we hit any major issues we could boost the ISO of the camera, so overall we shot a fairly consistent level of light in a changeable environment.
Next up is post on these videos, so we can add the instructions to these images, tune in to see the results!